British Museum Trip

This was actually my third visit to the British Museum, I can't remember my first trip but my second was less than two years ago. At that time my focus during the trip was on the military and society of Ancient Greece, Mycenae and Rome, and while not directly related to the course, that trip certainly provided some insight into the role of ancient games.

The trip at first focused on the oldest known board game, the Royal Game of Ur (named so because it was found in Ur). Irving Finkel, the leading expert on the game, was enthusiastic and passionate as he spoke to us about the game's origins, history and role in society.

The following tour was interesting, there were lots of exhibits which suggested the influence of gaming in ancient cultures from the Mesopotamian era all the way up to medieval England.

No comments:

Post a Comment